Below points are most essentials in air compressor engineering.
01) Be certain leveling screw in frame base has been backed off, and foundation bolts are tightened properly.
02) Clean off all accumulated dirt from exterior of compressor and electric motor.
03) Remove covers, tapes, wrapping from openings, which had been blanked and sealed.
04) Open frame top cover and check all connecting rods, bolts etc. to see that they are correctly installed and tightened. Check crankshaft end float.
05) Check and clean thoroughly the inside of the frame. Use cloth for cleaning inside. Never use cotton waste on internal parts.
06) Remove silica gel bags if placed in valve ports, do not wipe any carbon and Teflon powder from valve or cylinder. (For Non Lubricated Compressor.)
07) Fill compressor frame with correct grade of oil up to required level. (Middle of the visual screw)
08) Rotate the compressor manually, in direction of rotation and check bearing lubrication as well as free running of crankshaft.
09) Fill oil in force feed lubricator, disconnect oil line near to cylinder and rotate handle. Check oil is coming at the end of lubricating pipe. Reconnect oil line and operate pump at least 20-25 turns.
10) Check each compressor piston rod to be certain it is smooth and rust free, especially for the section where rod is passing through packing and wiper rings.
11) Check the bumping clearance as per recommended.
12) Replace frame inspection cover on the compressor.
13) Check compressor air cleaner and suction lines for dirt and clean, if required.
14) Check all electrical connections for correct tightness.
15) Check the insulation resistance with megger. If any moisture or dirt in the winding indicated, remove it immediately.
16) Remove safety devices and start motor without v-belts. Check the incoming voltage and current drawn by motor. Check electric motor for abnormal noise and vibrations.
17) When satisfied with electric motor, fit v-belts, align motor and adjust belts tension as required.
18) Check strainer/air filter before unloader and insure pressure sensing airline is clean and free from rust, dust etc.
19) Remove all suction and discharge valves and starts motor. Check oil pressure unusual noise, vibration and safety trappings.
20) Shut down compressor, check all parts for unusual heating. Install all suction and discharge valves.
21) Restart compressor and continue to run until the unit has warmed. Check various temperature and pressure gauges for proper operations.
22) If found every thing in order, put the compressor air discharge net to supply compressed air for plant utilities.
Follow all the above instructions while commissioning every new or overhauled reciprocating air compressor.
You may also interested in following…
The History And Working Of Two-Stroke Petrol Engine.
Construction Of Spark Plug Used In Automotive Engine.